One of my Woodturning with Sketchup customers recently wanted to model detailed Christmas ornaments and wondered if it was possible.
I selected Cindy Drozda’s Sputnik Sea Urchin Ornament as the design for the modeling challenge. I figured that Cindy’s design would be a good test because of it elegant form and detail.
Here is the process I used:
- Import a photo of the ornament
- Rotate the photo and then trace the outline on the lathes grid
- Hide the image, dress up the outline/cross section
- Render the cross sections in 3D, make copies and rotate them vertically
- Create a texture taken from the sea urchin image and add it to the sphere
- Bingo ….. a close to real model…. (Note that SketchUp did not render the fine tip of the finial very well in 3D but it is in the original)